Greetings! Representing the California Dragon Boat Association, a non-profit, 501(c)3 organization, we are officially calling on the community to assist us in recruiting volunteers to staff the 2016 Kaiser Permanente Northern California International Dragon Boat Festival at Lake Merrit, Oakland on the weekend of September 17th and 18th.
This is one of the largest dragon boat races in the United States which is expected to draw 50,000 spectators and more than 100 domestic and international dragon boat teams. Set in one of the most unique urban spaces in the Bay Area, spectators are provided a perfect, unobstructed view of one of the most competitive dragon boat racing events in North America. Along with two full days of racing, there will be cultural entertainment, food and merchandise vendors, community education booths, and children’s activities. We will need many volunteers to ensure the races and festival activities run smoothly and on time.
We are reaching out to you because you fall into one of the following categories: you’re a veteran volunteer and helped last year at the event or in gathering up volunteers for us; you are a past, present or future paddler; or you are a great friend willing to lend a hand! For those of you that helped us recruit from within your school, DB teams, work and social organizations, your help is MOST valuable and would appreciate your help again this year. Please pass the word to those who you think would be interested!
Volunteers at this year’s festival will receive:
- A specially designed, official t-shirt to distinguish yourself as one of the valued volunteers for this festival
- A chance to try out the need to speed in the water at the end of the festival on Sunday (there will be a volunteer race if you have a desire to paddle)
- Food! Breakfast, lunch, drinks and snacks throughout the day
Some of the positions that we will need help with this year are:
- Hospitality – To help serve breakfast and lunch to volunteers, deliver food to other volunteers on duty
- Volunteer and Information Booths – To assist volunteer check-in’s, assist visiting dragon boat teams check-in’s, greet media and visitors, serve in information booth, pass out flyers, manage lost & found
- Dock Duty – To help count paddlers before the race and help paddlers in and out of the docking area, previous experience preferred
- Dragon Land – To help out with children’s arts and crafts activities and games
- Race Operation Runners – To help race coordinators with various tasks to support race operations like relaying messages to race teams and other race coordinators
- Runners – To assist volunteer coordinator(s) in relaying messages, replacing volunteers during breaks, finishing little loose ends
How to Sign Up – Group or individual volunteers, please refer to Volunteer Signup Information page to get started
Thank you in advance, it will be a great event and we look forward to hearing from you soon!